The laser wood engraving machine is one of the best-selling equipment on the market at the beginning of 2022. This popularity is explained by the fact that this is the easiest and most convenient way to decorate wooden interior elements in the house. And wood engraving is currently one of the competitive advantages of wooden furniture companies. All engravers have co2 emitters.
Therefore, most entrepreneurs equip their carpentry shops with laser engravers for wood. It also reduces the cost of manufacturing furniture and interior elements.
This kind of professional equipment is quite expensive on the world market. European laser equipment manufacturers offer prices from $2000 for desktop models. However, you can always find the best value for money. So, Chinese machines, even taking into account delivery, can cost half as much for the same or sometimes even better quality.
The quality, reliability, and functional characteristics of the laser-cutting machine affect not only the financial profit of the company, but also the success of the business as a whole.
of the final product will give you a competitive advantage on the market. And the minimum amount of scraps and the absence of machine downtime due to breakdowns will reduce expenses and make the lowest prime cost of production.
That is why the laser engraver should be chosen with all care.
Please note: the power of the laser tube, the working area, and the functionality – all these aspects must be considered first when choosing a machine for laser wood engraving.
Laser engraver – what type of the machine it is and where it can be used
A laser engraver is a printer, only instead of a printhead, it has a laser beam. And this beam does not print, but burns out the material, in this particular case wood. Depending on the power of the beam, either engraving or cutting of the material is obtained.
Souvenirs, furnishings, furniture, cardboard packaging – this is just a small list of objects that can be engraved with a laser co2 machine. If you need to make more items, you can use a CNC router machine.
To order and buy high quality, reliable laser equipment, you need to understand the features of the components of the machine, evaluate the quality, and only then make a decision about the purchase. Alternatively, you can trust the quality of one of the leading brands in the CO2 laser market, Wattsan, and spend more time on how to develop your production, getting the perfect product quality without excessive efforts.
The up-to-date online catalog contains products certified in accordance with international and European standards (ISO and EN), which guarantees high quality of assembly, the highest accuracy, as well as the reliability of all parts and components.
What to note first when choosing a laser engraver
What you plan to manufacture on the laser machine and the expected production volume are key aspects to consider when choosing a laser wood engraver.
This will help you decide on the preferable working area size and power of the machine. For example, cutting 10 mm plywood requires a laser power of at least 100 W. However, using a laser tube at full power is highly discouraged, and the generally accepted optimum power level is 75-80%, which means that you need to take the oversized tube. So the CO2 laser tube will live much longer, allowing you to save on components.
Below we describe each criterion in more detail:
1. The size of the working area. There are desktop (with working area from 200 by 300 mm to 600 by 400 mm), medium- (600 by 900 mm and 1200 by 900 mm), and large-format models (2000 by 3000 mm).
Basically it depends on the STANDARDS of the dimensions of the sheet materials and the dimensions of your FINAL product. The size of blanks, supplied in your area, will determine the working area of your future machine. It is also important to understand whether you need to pre-cut these materials or whether you will process the entire sheet.
Important: for laser engraving of a single unit, a desktop model is an optimal choice. When it comes to mass production, a medium format laser engraver or even larger model is a more suitable and profitable option, for example, Wattsan 6090 or Wattsan 1290.
2. Depth of lowering the table in the laser engraver. This feature determines the dimensions of a workpiece you can process. For example, if the machine is equipped with a lifting table, you can use a rotary device and engrave on wooden balusters.
3. The laser engraver table type.
There are the following types of tables for laser engraving machines:
- Lamellae. A lamellae table is usually included in the basic version; it is practical and convenient for cleaning and preventive maintenance. (Important: the lamellas must be anodized, as this protects against laser beam backfire, maintaining the quality of the product and ensuring safety of the machine operator.)
- Honeycomb. The best option for processing small products and elements, as well as working with thin materials. Workpieces can be pressed to the steel honeycomb table with neodymium magnets, which guarantees accurate and high-quality engraving and cutting of products.
- Conveyor. This type of machine is specially designed for cutting and engraving rolls of leather (artificial leather) and various fabrics. Wooden blanks are processed on conveyor tables only in case of emergency, since such tables are usually not anodized.
4. Engraving and cutting speed. It is individual for each machine and can vary from 300 to 500 m/s.
5. Positioning accuracy. A parameter that indicates the acceptable error limit of laser engraving. As in the previous paragraph, it varies depending on the model and ranges from 0.03 to 0.05 mm.
One of the most important factors that affects positioning accuracy is the presence of a frame structure of the body, which stiffens the entire structure of the laser machine.
During engraving, the rapid movements of the laser head create an excessive moment of inertia. This means that many machines may sway during operation, degrading the quality and accuracy of the final image.
In Wattsan machines, the reinforced body structure and the presence of a frame guarantee the stability of a laser engraver and, as a result, high accuracy even at maximum engraving speeds.
There are many other parameters and design features that Wattsan engineers have improved in order to achieve the highest quality of operation of laser engravers. We will cover each of them in more detail in other articles:
- Laser tube;
- Ignition unit and how to choose it;
- Control system and how to use it;
- Guide rails;
- A portal and a laser head;
- Fastening of belts;
- Engines of the laser machine;
- End sensors;
- A cooling system for laser engravers;
- The niche for collecting garbage;
Note: if you are in doubt and do not know which laser engraver for wood is more suitable for your tasks, call or write to one of Wattsan managers for professional advice.
TOP 5 Laser Engraving Machines for Wood
The following Wattsan CO2 laser wood engravers are the most popular among buyers around the world:
1. Wattsan 0203 micro. Belongs to the desktop type. Specially designed for domestic use, garage or storage room. Is characterized by the compact sizes and low cost – about $500.
|Work area||200 x 300 mm|
|Max engraving speed||700 mm|
|Dimensions||810 mm * 500 mm * 265 mm|
2. Wattsan 0503. An ideal model for both hobby and small business. It takes up little space, but has all the advantages of professional equipment, including the lifting table. It is also equipped with a through table, which allows processing materials of unlimited length.
|Work area||500 x 300 mm|
|Max engraving speed||700 mm|
|Dimensions||650 mm * 1040 mm * 575 mm|
The power of the laser tube and the area of the working area are 50 W and 50 * 30 cm, respectively. Refers to the medium format equipment with high positioning accuracy (0.03 mm). The starting price is $1540.
3. Wattsan 6040. Its characteristics are similar to its predecessor 0503. The high nominal power of a laser tube, about 90 W, and the increased size of the working area are the main and undeniable advantages of this model. Engraving and cutting speed is the same – 500 m/s. The cost is $1750.
|Work area||600 x 400 mm|
|Max engraving speed||500 mm|
|Dimensions||765 mm * 1165 mm * 600 mm|
4. Wattsan 6090 (LT/ST). The most popular engraver in the product line of Wattsan laser machines. Machine with a medium format working area (90*60 cm). It can be effectively used in industrial production for processing large-sized workpieces. To purchase this wood engraving laser model, you will have to pay $2330.
|Work area||900 x 600 mm|
|Max engraving speed||700 mm|
|Dimensions||1030 mm * 1490 mm * 670 mm + 315 mm (if on its wheels)|
5. Wattsan 2030 Flat Bed. Large-format laser machine with a 120 W laser tube. A large working area (200*300 cm), high positioning accuracy, ease of preventive maintenance and repair are just some of the advantages that the owner of this laser-engraving machine will appreciate. The main feature of this model is that a laser tube is located directly on the portal, and the path of the laser beam is minimal, which means that the beam scattering is insignificant, guaranteeing high accuracy of engraving and cutting. The price for such a machine starts at $ 5,000.
|Work area||3000 x 2000 mm|
|Max engraving speed||500 mm|
|Dimensions||2400 mm * 3750 mm * 800 mm|
As a summary
Choosing the most optimal equipment for laser engraving on wood is a time-consuming process that requires a responsible approach. After all, you choose equipment that should bring you profit. And your net earnings will depend on the quality of the final product and the minimization of defects.
When choosing, it is necessary to take into account many parameters and characteristics. Below we will indicate the most important of them, which you should pay attention to in the first place:
- overall dimensions and kinematics of the laser machine,
- working area and positioning accuracy,
- operating speed and rated power of the equipment
The choice mostly depends on the specific tasks of each consumer. For beginners, a simple Wattsan 0203 micro laser engraver will suffice. If you are the head of a large company specializing in mass production, your option is Wattsan 6090 LT and bigger machines.
Depends on the specific model, features of the configuration, and varies from 500 to 25,000 US dollars.
Yes, because it is ideal for a hobby and also can increase the attractiveness and competitiveness of products sold.
Wood laser engraving is one of the trends in 2022. This is a great competitive advantage in any souvenir and furniture business.
Each task is different. Depends on the processing speed, layout, engraving depth, overall dimensions of the workpiece, training and skills of the operator.
The first step is marketing research. Analyze which souvenir products are in high demand among consumers in your region, decide on the expected volume of orders, and then you will understand what size and power of the machine will suit you best. Based on the results of the research, choose a suitable laser wood engraver.